Sunday, August 23, 2020

Installing 240v underground line

I just finished installing an underground 240v main going to my back shed.  It was quite a bit of work (4 weekends).  I rented a 24” deep trencher, installed 2” PVC conduit, pulled conductors (with the help of my electrician), repaired all the sprinkler feeds and sprinkler control wiring that I had to cut.  I added soil, yellow caution tape, a waterline tapped off of my sprinkler live water, more soil, metal tape (can find the wiring with a metal detector) and the final layer of soil.  It passed inspection!

One word of caution with the Ditch Witch trencher I used.  You only have one pass to make the trench.  You can not go over the hole twice, because the 3 wheeled device will get stuck in the trench you have dug! The trencher also didn’t do a great job taking out all the soil.  Even though it went down 24” (soil is loose), the hole was only 18-20” deep.  I started digging the extra by hand, but it was taking too long, so I bought a high powered wide-mouth shop vac and vacuumed the dirt out.  I had to empty the vacuum about 24 times, but it was MUCH easier than using a shovel!  Mind you though, I think the vacuum was successful because my soil is very sandy.  If it were more clay-like I think the vacuum would have clogged up more. I went a little overboard getting down to 24" because the top of the electrical conduit only had to be at or below 18" for code.  I wanted to make sure that when I dropped the conduit in, I didn't have any need to re-dig due to variations in the hole height.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment