Monday, January 9, 2023

My Odyssey with my 2007 Honda Odyssey flashing "D" with a check engine light

 My 2007 Honda Odyssey has had a battery draining issue for about 3 months.  At first I ignored it by just driving the car everyday.  More recently it has become annoying.  I went through all of the fuses and determined that my battery draining issue was being caused by (I think) a nonfunctioning microswitch on my right sliding door....rather than confront this issue, I decided to just to make a "switch" to enable and disable fuse #7 "BACK UP". By effectively "pulling" fuse 7 the draining issue goes away. So I took an old micro fuse cut it in half and soldered wires to the blades.  On one blade I soldered a wire to a 7.5A fuse. On the other end of the 7.5A fuse, I connected one side of a single pole double throw switch.  The other side of the switch I connected a wire to the other blade.   I then plugged the two "blades" into fuse #7 position (acting as a fuse). This set up allows me to turn off the "fuse" with a switch.  When I don't want the battery draining, I turn off the "fuse." When I want to drive the car, I turn on the fuse. It works great!

Now I must tell you that in my debugging the fuses, I did something really stupid, in that I placed fuse 31 in the wrong place ( I put it into fuse 29 position).  This caused a MAJOR headache....not realizing I had done this, the van now had a flashing "D", check engine light and would not shift into reverse!  Luckily with all of this happening, I decided to check my fuses once again to make sure none had blown.  It is at this point that I realized my error in putting the fuse in the wrong place....moving the 15A fuse from position 29 back to position 31 fixed my flashing "D"!  Putting a ODB reader and erasing the check engine codes P0974 and P0983...everything was fixed!

So if you have a flashing "D" and a check engine light...check out fuse 31..it might be blown, leading to  potentially EXPENSIVE and WRONG set of fixes... like replacing the shift solenoid, and even  a "Faulty transmission."

Good luck,

Dr.

No comments:

Post a Comment