Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Setup the HooToo Tripmate Nano - AMAZING LITTLE DEVICE!

Please see my new NAS setup:
https://lightcogitation.blogspot.com/2024/03/rip-my-hootoo-nanorouter-has-been.html

************************************
I have recently changed these instructions because I was having some trouble with the tripmate having a configuration ip address in the same range as my router.  I changed its address back to 10.10.10.254, but I still have it connect to my network with a static ip of 189.45.1.252.
*****************************************

First off, the instructions are pretty poor on how to set this thing up.  BUT the hardware and software are pretty good for a $14.99 device I paid on amazon.  It makes a great little local NAS!  Save yourself some heartache. Don't use the app for windows to setup the Tripmatenano. The app is useless- I spent an hour trying to get it to work and never did.  Use the web interface!

Here is how to get into the web configuration page:
0) Plug the tripmate into a 5v USB power supply - wait for it to boot up
1) Make sure the wifi/ethernet switch on the Tripmate is set to wifi
1)  Through your wifi settings on your computer, look for a network named TripmateNanoXXXX
where XXXX is a combination of letters and numbers

(A side note: If you change the ip address or the password for the Tripmatenano wireless network, don't forget to tell windows (the next time you log into the tripmatenano network) to forget the old wireless password, and enter the new one you changed it to!)

2) Connect to this wireless network using the wireless network password 11111111 (e.g. 8 1's)
3) open a web browser and type 10.10.10.154 in the browser (this will connect to the tripmate configuration page)  At this point you should be in the configuration of the device. Login with admin as the username and no password (e.g. just press enter).
From here you can set it up anyway you like.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instructions on how to setup Tripmate as a NAS on your local network:

Since I am using it as a NAS on my network, I set the device up in bridge mode.
1) Follow steps 2 and 3 from above to log into the device configuration pages. Once there,

2) Click on network, then internet, press scan - you should be able to find your home network.  Enter your home network password, and use either DHCP or manual.    I have had more success giving it a hard coded e.g. manual ip address that is outside my router's served up dhcp ip addresses.  For instance if my home router address is 189.45.16.1, I set the router to serve up dhcp addresses 189.45.16.2-189.45.16.251 this leaves a few addresses so that I may hard code some equipment. For the Tripmate, I chose 189.45.16.252 Now the tripmate, when it starts up will log into your home network as a bridge on 252. I suggest writing this ip address down on a sticky note and taping it to the tripmate because this is the address you will use to access the Tripmate as a NAS drive.

5) Now to see the drive plugged into the Tripmate on your network:
Windows 7: click the windows start circle (left hand side of bottom bar), once the menu bar comes up, type \\   For instance, \\189.45.16.252 into the edit field at the bottom of the menu bar

If windows sees the tripmate, it will open a new file explorer window with an entry in the window named USBDisk1_Volume1.  This is your USB drive plugged into the tripmate!  At this point just right click on it and select map network drive.  Windows will then map the USB drive plugged into the tripmate as a drive letter (e.g. Z:).  You can now easily access your files on the tripmate USB drive from your windows computer.

Windows8:  click the "This computer" icon on desktop  at the top of the window will be an icon that says "map network drive" click this. At the bottom, there will be clickable words that say "Connect to a Web site that you can use to store your ...."
Click the words.  At the new window click the next button, click next on the "Choose a custom network location", click browse, type in your admin credentials for the Tripmate ( don't forget to click "remember my credentials).  It should then show your Tripmate USB drive, select that and click ok. Click next and give the new mapped drive a name, Click ok, then finish.

7) After all this setup, you can then setup your Android phone to access the drive as well.  Install the Tripmate app from the play store. Connect your phone to your wireless network and run the app.  The app should be able to find the Tripmate and the drive.

8) Another way to setup access in android is to use Astro file manager or ES file explorer.  They both have ability to connect to samba windows shares - what your Tripmate is serving.

I have not changed the address to change the configuration of the device e.g. 10.10.10.254.

If you found this information useful, please click on a few of the google advertisements to the right of this information.  Thank you!

13 comments:

  1. Hi, I followed your instruction but I can't see smb share within my local network, only if I connect to tripmate network. Are you using latest firmware? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I downgraded my firmware to HooToo-TM02-2.000.015 and that allowed me to connect to the share as above from my home wifi rather than the TM02 wifi :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi mate.... I have made the setup as per above but my existing network devices cannot see the usb storage on the hootoo nano? Not sure what i am doing wrong!

    I have connected nano to my existing sky router via ethernet cable. Thats about it. Now i want my exusting devices on my existing network to be able to see the dlna n Samba capabilities of the Hootoo nano.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can someone send me firmware HooToo-TM02-2.000.015 to mail decent.kunal24@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. Hi there, I've been experiencing the exact same issue - the latest firmware stops me from seeing the smb share within my local network, only if I connect to tripmate network. Do you know from where I may be able to download an older / 2.000.15 version firmware?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Assuming your device is connected via ethernet: Try setting (under 'Network Settings') the IP address of the 'Wi-Fi & LAN' to be something different than your local network range; then set the 'Internet' IP address to something that is valid for your local network.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter what you do, you can't access the network share without being on TM02 WiFi if you are not on firmware 2.000.015 !!!
      In other words, you HAVE TO downgrade to 2.000.015 if you need to use this as NAS !

      Delete
  5. So does anyone want to share the link to the old firmware 2.000.015?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not sure what motivated the HooToo folks do disabled the network share after firmware 2.000.015 !!!
    It's strange that, to get the network share enabled, you need to downgrade the firmware (for me from 2.000.072 which is what on their website at the moment:- http://www.hootoo.com/downloads-HT-TM02.html)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nevermind,
    based on "Rob Tonks" comment and my common sense, I found out the link to the old firmware:-
    http://www.hootoo.com/media/downloads/HooToo-TM02-2.000.015.zip
    Basically I copied the link to the current firmware from their website and just replaced the filename in the url to HooToo-TM02-2.000.015 ;) ;)
    Hope this helps !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And......
      It started working now... ;) ;)
      So, it indeed is the firmware issue!
      I wasted half a day in troubleshooting this NAS failure, only to understand their latest firmware is messed up...damn!!!

      Delete
  8. hey i downgrade my firmware to that v15 one from my v72 and now i think it is bricked. the led keeps on blinking and i cannot even start the wifi. dose anyone know how to fix this?????

    ReplyDelete